The Sanctuary of Fatima is one of the largest Marian Shrines in the world. Every year millions of people come to the place, in prayer and devotion, or simply to know the 'altar of the world'. The most symbolic celebrations take place on 12 and 13 May and on 12 and 13 October. The Basilica of Our Lady of Fatima, in the Sanctuary, welcomes the tombs of the three little shepherds: Lúcia, Francisco and Jacinta.
It was in the Parish Church of Fatima that the Little Shepherds Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta were baptized. During his short life, St. Francis Marto lived intensely the contemplative prayer, spending successive hours to pray in front of the tabernacle, in that religious temple. The Parish Church of Fatima dates from 1568. Visits are not allowed at the time of Eucharistic celebrations.
It was in the village of Aljustrel that the three shepherd children of Fatima were born and lived. In the village you can visit the homes of Lúcia and Santos Francisco and Jacinta Marto, who maintain much of the original / contemporary decoration of the time.
An emblematic place for the believers of the Message of Fatima, this route symbolizes the journey that the Shepherds made to meet Our Lady in the Sanctuary. From Aljustrel to Fatima, you will find the Via Crucis on the Way of the Shepherds and Hungarian Calvary, and Loca do Cabeço, where the first and third apparitions of the Angel of Portugal were given to the three seers.
The region surrounding Fatima is much sought after by caving enthusiasts. The region hosts a large number of caves, of which stand out the Caves of Mira D'Aire, one of the seven natural wonders of Portugal; Those of Alvados, the Santo António and those of the Currency.
Exploring the Vila and the Medieval Castle of Ourém can be good reasons to extend the stay. The military fortification dates from the twelfth century, and from there it is possible to see the whole county. In the Medieval Village, there is also the Paço dos Condes, the entrance towers, the Collegiate Church, the Fountain and the Pelourinho; There is also a variety of cafes and shops that show the best that is done in the region, in particular the gourd of Ourém.
The former headquarters of the Order of the Templars stands out for its artistic and cultural wealth. The Templar Charolais, the oratory of the knights, keeps authentic treasures from the times of the Crusades and the Discoveries. In the Convent of Christ visit also the Templar Castle of Tomar, the Manueline Church, the Renascentica Convent of the Order of Christ, the Mata dos Sete Montes, the Hermitage of the Immaculate Conception and the Conventual Aqueduct (or Aqueduct of the Pegões).
A masterpiece of Portuguese Gothic and national symbol of Portugal. The Monastery of Santa Maria da Vitória was promised to the Blessed Virgin in 1385, in case Portugal won the Battle of Aljubarrota in front of the Castilians. Construction work has continued for nearly 200 years.